|Series 9 Episode 8|
Don't Mention the War
|Release Date||24th October 2013|
|Created By||Ann McManus and Maureen Chadwick|
|Previous episode||Series 9 Episode 7 (Lies Mothers Tell)|
|Next episode||Series 9 Episode 9 (Father Figure)|
Don't Mention the War is the eighth episode of Series 9.
Staff and pupils don 40s gear for the World War II living history week, with austere rations, which annoys the kids. For authenticity, the teachers organise a foraging expedition, where Kevin, helped by a military uniform and a Glenn Miller disc, wins back Dynasty. The stupid Barry Barry and even dimmer sidekick Darren Hughes pick and eat magic mushrooms, landing them in hospital. Education officer - and Sue's father - Robert Bain arrives for his school inspection, which begins well. However Rhiannon faints after taking the ration diet too seriously, and a goat gets loose in the school. At least Christine manages to stop the pupils from eating the remaining mushrooms, but Sue discovers that she is still employing George despite being aware that his Mandarin is not up to teaching standards, which is ammunition she gives Simon in his bid to become the permanent head. Robert is displeased with Christine, but also berates Simon for being underhand and trying to score points off the headmistress. Battle lines are now drawn between Christine and Simon.
It’s Living History Week at Waterloo Road, and the whole school is in high spirits, but it’s not long before the day takes a turn for the worse when three pupils take seriously ill. Simon and Sue up the ante in their campaign against Christine, and Kevin woos Dynasty back into his arms.
Sensing an opportunity to impress Education Head Robert Bain, Christine rolls Audrey’s World War II initiative across the curriculum, complete with costumes, rationing – and even a runaway goat! But the fun runs out when Darren and Barry go foraging for dodgy mushrooms in the woods and Rhiannon takes the rationing programme too literally, with all three requiring the paramedics.
Sue learns a secret that threatens to expose George’s overblown Mandarin claims, and composes a dossier of failings in Christine’s leadership. After yet another run in with Christine, Simon’s had enough and places Sue’s dossier straight into the hands of Robert Bain.
Miserable with his single life, Kevin launches a romantic woodland gesture entitled ‘Operation Dynasty’ in a bid to win her back.
- Laurie Brett as Christine Mulgrew
- Victoria Bush as Sonya Donnegan
- Angus Deayton as George Windsor
- Georgie Glen as Audrey McFall
- Vanessa Hehir as Sue Spark
- Melanie Hill as Maggie Budgen
- Richard Mylan as Simon Lowsley
- Carl Au as Barry Barry
- Mark Beswick as Darren Hughes
- Christopher Chung as Archie Wong
- Rebecca Craven as Rhiannon Salt
- Brogan Ellis as Kacey Barry
- Caitlin Gillespie as Lisa Brown
- Je'Taime Morgan Hanley as Shaznay Montrose
- Tommy Knight as Kevin Chalk
- Marlene Madenge as Lula Tsibi
- Abby Mavers as Dynasty Barry
- Shane O'Meara as Connor Mulgrew
- Heather Peace as Nikki Boston
- Joe Slater as Lenny Brown
- Kirstie Steele as Imogen Mulgrew
- Kane Tomlinson-Weaver as Harley Taylor
- Shaun Prendergast as Robert Bain