|Series 9 Episode 1|
Beyond the Call of Duty
|Release Date||5th September 2013|
|Created By||Ann McManus and Maureen Chadwick|
|Previous episode||Series 8 Episode 30 (Hero)|
|Next episode||Series 9 Episode 2 (Sue Spark’s Bad Day)|
Beyond the Call of Duty is the first episode of Series 9.
As the school mourns the loss of Tom, Audrey gets out of her depth when she suspects new pupils, Lenny and Lisa Brown, are being neglected. Visibly dishevelled, Lenny and Lisa’s appearance worries Audrey who barely recognises the bright, happy children she once taught at Havelock High. Audrey visits their house, where she finds their elderly brother Larry is selling drugs. Later, at the school’s football match, Audrey’s concerns become public – with far-reaching consequences for the Browns. And, unbeknown to Audrey, her actions make her the target of a hate campaign by Lisa. Elsewhere, newly qualified science teacher Sue Spark feels the pressure in the classroom while deputy head Simon harbours a secret from his colleagues.
With the school still in mourning for Tom Clarkson at the start of the new term, scruffy twins Lenny and Lisa Brown are enrolled at the school by their elder brother Larry, their guardian whilst their mother is in psychiatric care.
Lenny and Lisa make quite an impression on their first day – for all the wrong reasons. Audrey is shocked at the deterioration in their appearance since she knew them from when she taught them at a previous school.
When Christine dismisses Audrey’s concerns about the Brown twins, she takes matters into her own hands, visiting their home. Once there, a horrified Audrey discovers Larry is growing and dealing drugs. Larry pushes Audrey to the floor, which knocks her out. When she regains consciousness, she quickly escapes to Waterloo Road – but before she can report the incident, Larry arrives to remove the twins. As Larry and the twins were leaving, the police arrived at the school, having received a call from Audrey. Larry tries to run but is caught and arrested. The twins move into the schoolhouse. Lenny is pleased to be in a warm, clean home but his vengeful sister determines to get even with Audrey.
There’s a new face in school as recently qualified science teacher, Sue Spark, finds the reality of teaching harder than she thought; and new deputy head, Simon, harbours the fact that she is his girlfriend.
- Laurie Brett as Christine Mulgrew
- Georgie Glen as Audrey McFall
- Heather Peace as Nikki Boston
- Richard Mylan as Simon Lowsley
- Vanessa Hehir as Sue Spark (First appearance)
- Angus Deayton as George Windsor
- Melanie Hill as Maggie Budgen
- Philip Martin Brown as Grantly Budgen
- Victoria Bush as Sonya Donnegan
- Caitlin Gillespie as Lisa Brown (First appearance)
- Joe Slater as Lenny Brown (First appearance)
- Brogan Ellis as Kacey Barry
- Abby Mavers as Dynasty Barry
- Tommy Lawrence Knight as Kevin Chalk
- Carl Au as Barry Barry
- Rebecca Craven as Rhiannon Salt
- Mark Beswick as Darren Hughes (First appearance)
- Kirstie Steele as Imogen Mulgrew
- Kane Tomlinson-Weaver as Harley Taylor
- Shane O'Meara as Connor Mulgrew
- Marlene Madenge as Lula Tsibi
- Je'Taime Morgan Hanley as Shaznay Montrose (First appearance)
- Christopher Chung as Archie Wong (First appearance)