|Series 8 Episode 30|
|Release Date||4th July 2013|
|Created By||Ann McManus and Maureen Chadwick|
|Previous episode||Series 8 Episode 29 (Dirty Laundry)|
|Next episode||Series 9 Episode 1 (Beyond the Call of Duty)|
Hero is the thirtieth and final episode of Series 8.
As Grantly is released from hospital, the school prepares for a charity auction, with proceeds going to kidney research. Grantly is reluctant to accept Tom's offer as a donor, but changes his mind when Maggie threatens to leave him. Kyle Stack, discharged from a young offender unit, arrives at the school, claiming that he wants to complete his education. Christine and Tom vote to exclude him, but Simon wants to give him a chance. Barry Barry, believing himself to be a hard man and sensing a rival, picks a fight and Kyle runs away. On the evening of the auction, Kyle, feeling worthless, climbs onto the school roof and threatens to jump. Tom goes after him, and ends up falling to his death himself.
Kacey is outside kicking her football. Tom asks her if she should be inside and promises her that she could be the captain of the new girls football team he is going to start in the new school year.
Grantly does not want to accept the kidney from Tom but later on he decides that he will, after some persuasion.
Later, Kyle is on the roof ready to jump off. When the auction finishes, the whole school comes out and sees the commotion unfold. Tom goes to the roof and persuades Kyle to come down. Kyle agrees but tragedy strikes when, much to horror of everyone, Tom stumbles backwards and falls off the roof. Christine begs him to stay alive but he dies. When her and Connor get home she is clearly upset. She has a bottle of vodka, but after one sip, she tips it down the sink. The next day, the school hold an assembly and pay tribute to Tom. Everyone is clearly upset. Outside, Kacey is kicking her football against a wall and looks at where Tom fell.
- Laurie Brett as Christine Mulgrew
- Philip Martin Brown as Grantly Budgen
- Victoria Bush as Sonya Donnegan
- Angus Deayton as George Windsor
- Jason Done as Tom Clarkson (Final appearance)
- Georgie Glen as Audrey McFall
- Melanie Hill as Maggie Budgen
- Richard Mylan as Simon Lowsley
- Heather Peace as Nikki Boston
- Carl Au as Barry Barry
- Rebecca Craven as Rhiannon Salt
- Brogan Ellis as Kacey Barry
- Tommy Knight as Kevin Chalk
- Marlene Madenge as Lula Tsibi
- Abby Mavers as Dynasty Barry
- Shane O'Meara as Connor Mulgrew
- Taylor Rhys as Jack MacAlister (Final appearance)
- George Sampson as Kyle Stack (One-off guest appearance)
- Adiza Shardow as Liberty Gordon (Final appearance)
- Kirstie Steele as Imogen Mulgrew
- Kane Tomlinson-Weaver as Harley Taylor