|Portrayed by||Melanie Hill|
|First Appearance||Series 7 Episode 21|
|Last Appearance||Series 10 Episode 20 (A Fairytale Ending)|
|Cause/Reason||End of the programme|
|Born||8th July 1959|
|Occupation||Senior Canteen Assistant (s.7-8) |
House Mistress (s.8-)
Food Teacher (s.8-)
|Spouse(s)||Trevor Croft (divorced)|
Grantly Budgen (Deceased)
Margaret "Maggie" Budgen (previously Croft) is a ex-dinner lady, now head of the school house and a Home Economics teacher, with a penchant for bingo, country music and karaoke. Intuitive and maternal, she’s the perfect woman to head up the new School House and would do anything to protect the kids in her care. She’s had a tough life, but has finally found happiness in the shape of Grantly, with whom she claims it was ‘Love at first fight’.
Thanks to her easy, motherly way with the kids and years of experience as a dinner lady, Maggie has recently made the jump into teaching Home Economics. She’s had a bit of a rocky start, but her caring nature and natural authority have seen her overcome the early bumps in the road of her fledgling teaching career. This term we see Maggie getting even closer to the kids, in particular Kevin, as she throws herself into work to deal with the loss of her beloved Grantly.
- Maggie is the only character in the final episode Series 10 Episode 20 (A Fairytale Ending) to have been a part of the school in Rochdale. Rhiannon Salt was also present in this episode and came from Rochdale but her character was unseen until Series 8.
- Maggie is the joint longest serving female member of staff along with Steph Haydock.
- She was a Dinner lady in Rochdale before being a teacher.
- She was in charge of the school boarding house with Grantly Budgen.
- Maggie has diabetes, which stopped her from being able to donate a kidney to Grantly.
"Uh, is the big cheese in here?" (First line)
"I would like to see how far Mr Byrne would get with an oven that doesn't get past gas mark 6, a set of cooking knives that are older than my Granny, and an exploding grill! What are you laughing at?!"
"I was just thinking about Grantly." (Last line)